Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Keeping The Main Thing Alive

Somebody once claimed, “The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.” Another way of saying it is, always remember to keep your eye on the ball. In entrepreneurial ventures, it’s so easy to turn your eye off the ball. In my personal case, fears, doubts, and greener grass on the other side have stood in the way of me really giving any of my entreprenurial ventures a decent shot.

Entrepreneurs are nearly always bipolar, at least when it comes to their business projects. When we get a new idea, we surge ahead, working day and night in great excitement. But then, the bumps in the road occur, or those issues we never considered before we got started. And all of a sudden, we find ourselves stopped in our tracks.

This has happened to me on many different ventures, and I am always left scratching my head as to what I could have done differently to keep the dream going and avoid this creeping depression. But that is the reason why it’s so important to not only set realistic goals, but to keep your eye on those goals in the middle of problems.

In many cases, the reason we come to a screeching halt is actually because our goals were so unrealistic. We assumed things would take off instantly and grow dramatically. Then, when it does not happen, our motivation dies.

It’s a funny paradox. The thing that can make an entrepreneur so successful is their motivation and excitement over their business projects. They’ll do whatever is needed to see a project successful. But that very same excitement may also be their downfall. When issues start to arise, it’s virtually impossible to keep the motivation and excitement alive, and often, everything falls apart. In my own life, I’ve found that setting practical expectations and learning to keep my eye on the ball has saved more than one of my business ventures.

Ben Mester is an entrepreneur who loves to discuss successful entrepreneurial practices and entrepreneurial projects. For more inspiration, check out Bible verses about perseverance and Bible verses about hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment